History of the Castel of Trigance
An ancient forteress for meditation, built by the monks of the Saint Victor abbey from Marseille in the lXth Century, we can only find a trace of the Lord of Trigance on from the Xlllth Century. The castle was occupied by the Ponteves family, a very powerful one, until the the disparition of the eldest branch in 1230. It was then occupied by Romee, a lord from Villeneuve, who claimed that he was the descendant of the Counts of Barcelona.
It was very difficult to get information about the beginnings of the family history, one which most contributed to the original formation of the Seigniory of Trigance. The Raimond family from Provence was personified, in the second half of the XlVth Century, by Jean de Raimond, called 'Le Gros'. It's as hard tofind out about the relationship which united Jean de Raimond with the last owner of Trigance.
We know that this character, originally from Italy, came to France, to Provence, at the head of a war troop, which had generously served the interests of Queen Jeanne. In certain letters from the 16th of March 1381, the Princess pledged allegiance in his favour, to give him land and the Seigniory of Eoux, as well as the lands of Trigance.
Jean de Raimond had three children :
Etienne de Raimond d'Eoux, who became 'Raymondis' from 1519 on and who had four children; Elzear was married to Louise de Castellane and had one son, Jean, who continued the descendance of the Raymondis d'Eoux. Pierre, knight of the order of Malta, finished as a Grand Master of the Order with the protection of the King of France in 1544, François the first.
The two girls who were after Etienne were both 'Dames de Trigance'. As a result of their double wedding with two Demandolxbrothers, they found themselves transfered to the house of the Demandolx seigniory. The youngest sister's husband Eyres de Demandolx, became the first Lord of Trigance.
The Seigniory of Trigance with its coat of arms : 'gold, with three bands, surmounted with a right hand ( its palm covered in silver )' was one of the families in Provence which gave the most knights to the Order of Malta.
The Seigniory finished for the male children with Bartelemi de Demandolx, Lord of Trigance. First, he was a knight of the Order of Malta, then he left it to marry Marguerite Delphine de Vento and had one daughter, Anne-Marie de Demandolx, 'Dame de Trigance', married to Cosme Maximilien de Valbelle, Count of Stulle, Marquis de Trouve, President of of the Parlement of Provence at Mortier.
During the Revolution the castle was destroyed and all the archives were burnt. It was used for a long time as a stone quarry for the village occupants. Then in 1961, a man, Mr Hartmann, fell in love with this ancient castle in ruins and decided with his wife, to bring life to the ancient building.
Ten years later, another couple, Mr and Madam Thomas was seducted and continued the work which had begun by the Hartmanns. Today, it is continued by their children.